1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This is why your Prius fails head gaskets

Discussion in 'Videos' started by psi, Oct 30, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, 'complete redesign' seems a little effusive. Somebody read the a journal article about post-cat EGR, which had been a subject of active research industry-wide during the Gen 3 years but hadn't been ready for prime time yet. Then they took the dimensions of the exact EGR system they already had, plugged them into the flow equations with the lower exhaust pressure after the cat, and made the new system the right amount larger.

About the only thing that seems 'redesigned' in the later system is the coolant nipples added to the EGR valve itself. As far as I can tell, they first added those to the Prius c in 2012.

2. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess these days with what I am able to have manufactured... if I had a starting point of direction, I could make something. Right now the thought is larger/more cooling jackets in the block. I just have to have a perfectly good block cut so I can scan the internals.