1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1500W 120V AC outlet

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Hipparchus, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Hipparchus

Hipparchus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I have read some threads here that say the North American version of the Gen 5 Prius Prime has a 1500W 120V AC outlet. I don't see any mention of it on the Toyota website. I want to be able to power my refrigerator during a power outage (and I need a new car) and I read in a forum that a 2022 Highlander hybrid owner was able to do that. IIRC, the Toyota website does list the 1500W 120V AC outlet as an option for the Highlander. I presume the hardware is the same. The Highlander was able to run continuously, keeping the refrigerator working and powering some lights. The Highlander example suggests that it should work on the Prius hybrid or the plug-in hybrid (Prime). Does anybody know which Gen 5 Priuses have it or can be equipped with it? Also, is it listed on the Monroney sticker? My refrigerator only uses 250W on average but, when the compressor starts, there is a big, short duration surge in wattage and, when the defroster is on, it uses about 600W. Has anybody tried running their refrigerator from their Prius?

RandyPete likes this.
  2. Jabog6

Jabog6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    My Prime SE has two outlets - one in the back seat leg area, and another in the trunk. I have not tried running a fridge from it but would be surprised if it didn't work.

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I checked the output of mine with an oscilloscope and found that it has a very nice and clean output. The total output through both of the outlets is limited to 1500 watts. The inverter is powered by the traction battery, so it should run for quite a while without the need to start the engine.

I have other generators so I don't really need the 120V supply most of the time. It might be handy in other locations. :)

4. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I would be interested in installing that inverter. Can I buy the system to integrate into a 2020 Prius L Eco? The use of the HV traction battery makes it particularly attractive for use in power outages.

5. N79PT

N79PT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    My 2024 Prime SE has the two outlets. I’ve tested with a heat gun up to about 1300W for 5-10 min. With no issues. My plan is to run my refrigerator (listed with “3.2 A surge”— I’m assuming at compressor startup) plus a few other low wattage items during an outage. Not listed on my Monroney sticker, but it was mentioned on the dealer website.

Edited to add: I also tested a small heater rated for 1500W for 30 minutes with no issues. (Measured wattage draw was less, maybe 1400W IIRC.)

#5 N79PT, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  6. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    After a quick glance at the 2024 Prius Prime Owners Manual....It seems the Traction Battery is 266 Volts. The 2020 Traction Battery is around 207 Volt....so the AC inverter won't work.

7. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    @Hipparchus: I'm not sure how to post a link to a thread, but search for "1500W AC inverter in 23MY Prime" and there is a thread where I did some tinkering. I got off on a tangent about GFCI not working, but at the end is the testing under load with a scope looking at waveforms.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will B likes this.
  9. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Plus the inverter in the Prime is actually part of the HV charger. (I looked into it a bit for my 2023 HEV.)

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 1500W 120VAC inverter is also part of an option package in the RAV4 Prime. Still being a RAV4 newbie, so far I've tested it only briefly to confirm that it would run the garage freezer during a power outage. The next test will include the kitchen fridge. And have used it numerous times to run boot warmers from home and lodgings to the ski hill, though those warmers are of such low power that a small inverter running from an ordinary 12V outlet easily handles that job.

Though when considering units lacking this option, I was unable to find any indication of it being available separately as a kit.

The 2020 Prime Owners Manual lists a nominal voltage of 351.5 V (see page 721).

Different voltages don't necessarily mean the inverter isn't interchangeable. These devices often have a decently wide input voltage range, so a specification review is needed.

11. Hipparchus

Hipparchus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I read that Hyundai also uses part of the HV charger as an inverter to provide an 1800W 120V AC outlet on their Ioniq 5 and related EVs. The Prius HEV obviously does not have a charge plug, but does it have a HV charger? Does your '23 Prius HEV have a 1500W 120V AC outlet and do you know if it is an option on the HEV? The Highlander Hybrid doesn't have a charge plug but it has a 1500W 120V AC outlet but it might be optional. A Prius HEV is less expensive and easier to find than a Prius Prime.

12. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No, the inverter is only in the Primes. I was interested in adding an AC plug, so I looked at the wiring diagrams to see how it was wired in on the Primes. Once I saw it came from the HV charger, I knew any idea of easily adding a big(1000W+) inverter was dead. I'm using a little 175W inverter plugged into the 12V dash plug for the rare situation when I need one. If I ever have the need for more, I'll add a hard wired one into the cargo area off the battery.

13. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I read that a 1500W 120 VAC inverter option was available for 2020 Prius at some trim level.....so I haven't completely given up hope.

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    An inverter providing the same 1500W output is present in Japanese non-PHEVs. Although I don't know about the output compatibility for the US if you ordered the Japanese parts. 100V there, don't know if that's okay for USA. (And 50Hz by default, dealer switchable to 60Hz.)

(And just going to check the manuals, I see that there are new Japanese manuals for March 2024 production onwards. Haven't spotted a difference yet, aside from changes to some information URLs)

#14 KMO, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  15. Hipparchus

Hipparchus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    V

16. Hipparchus

Hipparchus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    "I'm using a little 175W inverter plugged into the 12V dash plug for the rare situation when I need one. If I ever have the need for more, I'll add a hard wired one into the cargo area off the battery."
    There is also an option to add an aftermarket inverter that works from the traction battery. It is expensive and bulky and you have to tap into the high voltage traction battery (not for amateurs) to add the DC quick disconnect cord and your warranty might be void. 4kw PlugOut-4 kit [backboard not included] | PlugOut Power If Toyota would publish information about which cars have the 1500W 120V AC outlet and the cars were available, it would be better to just buy one of those cars (assuming it will power a refrigerator). As it is, there are no 2024 Prius Primes on a dealer lot within 75 miles of the major city I live in so I can't look at one to see if it has the outlet. Dealers advertise them when they have one ordered and it is sold before it arrives at the dealer.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  18. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as we can ascertain, they're standard equipment on all US Prime trims. Don't think anyone's seen one without them. Only potential catch is that as they've failed to mention it on the equipment list, you wouldn't have any recourse if they suddenly decided to stop fitting them.

Approximate Pseudonym likes this.
  19. Hipparchus

Hipparchus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    For those of you who have the 1500W outlet and you still have the Monroney sticker, is it listed on the sticker? Sometimes, dealers will post a link to an image of the Monroney in their online ad for a car. At present, supply is not keeping up with demand so dealers are not doing that but supply might catch up in the future.

20. Approximate Pseudonym

Approximate Pseudonym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It is not listed on the sticker, and neither are a lot of the features of the car. I don’t think it’s listed on the specifications section on the website either.