1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice! [Red Triangle of Death]

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got the dreaded red triangle of death. In addition, the orange exclamation point symbol (with circles around it) also came on, as well as the VSC, and check engine light symbols. I've posted here many times before. I'm the guy who lives in his Prius.

I drove about 70 miles today, to my physical therapy and back. Car was driving just fine, and I even stopped to fill the tank about 5 minutes before it happened.

I noticed 2 small jolts/lurches that the Prius did immediately before the dashboard lit up (couple of minutes prior maybe). I don't know if they were related to the issue, but I'm guessing yes somehow.

Not sure if I should've stopped right after the triangle came on, but I was on the highway and very close to where I've been staying (about 2 miles), which is a truck stop, so I finished the trip okay and the car is now parked in a good spot.

This is very surprising, as again, no warning signs whatsoever. The car has been operating same as always.

A few questions, as my situation is different than most since I live in my vehicle...

*I have the Autel MaxiAP 2000 which I bought a while ago based on the suggestions here. Can you please explain the steps to use it for best results?

*Is it okay to run the car as I have been (throughout the day & night) to use the climate control and 12V port, etc.? It is very warm here today, plus I just bought an entire batch of food which is currently in my 12V fridge. In addition, my phone and other devices need charging for my job.

*Could this be anything OTHER than the hybrid battery, or is that the most likely culprit?

Appreciate any help, as I'm disabled due to a stroke and rely on my car for pretty much everything. Beyond stressed now!

Joe

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can you use your scanner to run and scan the codes that would be a great help here Just saying it's the hybrid battery not necessarily I'm thinking more along something to do with the brakes or the vehicle skid control You had a lurch remember so that may be indicative of breaking troubles on the horizon which should not be a big deal don't panic car should run and charge and all that fine I even had regenerative braking while my brakes were acting up for months a long time so don't worry but do use your fancy scanner that's a pretty good one and get the codes for us That's the fastest way to anything around here.

3. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dumb question...where in the heck is the port? I can't bend down too well due to my stroke, and can't seem to locate it. Is it under where the "key & set" buttons are located, or more under the latch for the hood?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    About 10 in to the right of your hood latch release You should be able to finger it at about somewhere around the 11th inch mark your fingers should be touching the OBD2 port It's right there at the edge of the panel You should not have to bend down

5. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got it connected, and the green light is on on the dongle. Had to ask a stranger for help. I only have the ignition on, but the car isn't in run mode...should it be? I'm getting a message saying that the VCI isn't connected.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually it doesn't have to be in ready All the dash lights being on is okay without ready if this is a system you haven't used before many VCI dongles don't work with this model so there is always that I'm assuming you've used this setup before?

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  7. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never used an ODB reader before, I'm a greenhorn with all this stuff. I was on hold with Autel customer service for 35 minutes, but I requested a call back. Hopefully they can walk me through it, then I'll get back to you guys with the codes for opinions. Quick question...

In a worst case, if I only start the car in regular mode (press start button once & no brake pedal) to charge devices and whatnot, will that not kill the house battery if left on too long?

I'm hoping that you're indeed correct, and that I don't have to resort to that, and that I can run the car in "ready" to use the climate control, etc.

8. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Autel has AWFUL customer service! Their rep called me back, didn't understand the VCI connection issue, so I repeated it again and then he hung up on me. POS!

Can someone who has a gen 2 please tell me...does the car need to be in the ON mode to use the dongle, or must it only be in the regular mode (forget the name) where you just press the start button once without the brake?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Depending upon the test you're running the car generally needs to be on If it's not and ready that's okay The other one with all the dash lights on and not ready No problem that should connect and either of those modes It will not connect with the car off it will tell you that there's a connection problem and then I'll ask you to enter your car in manually which then you restart the alltel from the beginning but make sure the car is on and one of the two modes and then you'll see the data light the green light on the VCI cable or plug will flash because date is moving and now it should bring your car up on the screen and make you select it and so on

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  10. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, looks like I got it to work! Hopefully lol.

Now I'm staring at PAGES of data that I have no clue about. Might as well be written in Chinese.

What am I looking for here, guys?

11. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears that it ran the diagnostics. It spit back the following categories...

DTC & FFD
    I/M Readiness
    Live Data
    On-Board Monitor
    Component Test
    Vehicle Information
    Vehicle Status

Each category is a separate page with a LONG list of stuff & codes with numbers & symbols. Again, no clue what this stuff means or what I should be looking for. I might as well be blind.

12. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You want the DTC & FFD

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Start with DTC & FFD and tell us what DTCs are listed.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  14. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I will check those out now! Btw...if I look under "diagnostics" there is something in red. Which is the only red on the whole report. It says P0A93. I googled it and it says the inverter/water pump.

Should I ignore this since it was found under diagnostics, and not DTC or FFD?

To me, seeing something in red is usually not good, but you guys would know better than I.

Thanks

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nope don't ignore it that's good to know The hybrid inverter pump is real common and until it gets really hot is not going to really affect you a whole lot You could just clear the code and drive The car will still charge let you run it live in it etc but you do need to get that pump replaced more than likely. Now go under the DTC section that you're talking about and get all the codes that are current pending is okay too but we're interested in current

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  16. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I believe I was looking at the wrong info initially. Upon further review, under the "diagnostic" tab, it only shows ONE code, just like I said above P0A93.

Is this the inverter or water pump?

Based on that code, if it is indeed correct, I have the following questions...

*Roughly how much does that cost to replace?

*Is this something that's super critical to fix ASAP, or can it wait 3 or 4 days?

*As I don't want to risk damaging the car further, is it safe to run the Prius in ready mode so I can use the climate control & charge my devices for the next couple of days/nights until I can plot my next move?

*Is the car safe to drive at all, for any distance, or should I just stay parked where I am?

It's a 50 mile drive back to my hometown, where I know several mechanics. I need to either drive it back there, or have it towed. That's the next step. I will await your replies so I can strategize further.

17. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You beat me to it, Tombukt2! I was typing while you replied. What's the cost to fix this?

And tomorrow will be about 80 here. Safe to run climate control?

18. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: There is indeed ONE code under DTC & FFD! It is the same P0A93. Inverter A cooling system performance P0A93 - $7EA Current & $7EA Pending

I believe this must be the issue!

Hopefully the mechanic will agree, and not tell me my engine also blew and that I need a new transmission, too :LOL:

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No it's just a simple pump You should buy the original so you be not doing this again probably during your ownership which should be the last of the ownership's It's a common problem Just get it taken care of in the next 3 or 4 days when you're running the stuff see if you can be in the shade but just to run to charge and what not is not going to affect anything I've run under worse conditions with no issues give it a whirl.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P0A93 is a DTC!

It means the circuitry in the inverter/converter got too hot for some reason.

The little pump isn't always the reason. It can be. The code doesn't tell you whether it is or not. That's something for the human to figure out.

If the scan tool can show you FFD (freeze frame data), there's a 3-digit code in there that can tell you, if I remember right, whether the car thinks the pump or the fans to be the more likely culprit. The car still doesn't know, but that INF code gives you odds one way or the other.