1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius - Warnings and will not engage.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KitsuneVoss, May 21, 2024.

1. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you provide me a link to Toyota OEM batteries? I would gladly pay the extra.
    Do I just go to my dealer and say "I want a new hybrid battery?"
    I can simply call them in the morning.

#21 KitsuneVoss, May 24, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You shop, primarily online Toyota dealers, many of which can be local to save shipping. I have bought online from four local dealers and several others where shipping was not a deal breaker.

Hundreds of Toyota dealers sell parts online. In the last few years I have seen dealer hv battery prices as low as $1600 which tells you the wholesale price ceiling.

Going straight to the dealer will sometimes work or may quickly get you msrp unless they believe you are a shop. Local shops get discounts you can get through their online channel. Occasionally they have sales; some have a Memorial Day going now.

Examples
    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com

Genuine Toyota Online Parts| Toyota Parts| Toyota Parts Store | McGeorge Toyota Parts| Ourisman Toyota Parts

Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories: Official Online Store Hoover Toyota

Some independents sell oem. You can and should call them. The one I used was Hometown Hybrids. Installed was $2250.

From what I read above, you still have not proven exactly where the hv isolation fault is. I would do that first if possible rather than firing the parts cannon, in this case the Patriot Missile version.

Attached Files:

#22 rjparker, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
  3. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where could it be other than the battery assembly with those codes?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As per the diagram posted in post #4, it could also be in the transaxle, inverter, or air conditioning compressor.

But as you posted your codes in post #5, you have sub-codes 526 and 612 that point to the battery.

upload_2024-5-25_20-20-31.png

5. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did find this thread
    Gen 2 New OEM Toyota Hybrid Battery Replacment April 2023 | PriusChat
    Sounds very much the same as mine. P0AA6 /612
    I can test individual battery banks but will it change anything?
    I am thinking of stopping at my local Toyota to ask if they will sell it to me since some will and some will not.
    Will not order it today if they will but Tuesday, assuming Monday they will not be open and give me a chance to test anything I really should beforehand.
    I think I have just enough to buy the battery and pay for the core.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I estimate that you would be able to replace these cells and use the car successfully for "a while" because I've read of many other owners doing exactly that. I'd say your odds are great.

You have to decide for yourself if "a while" is worth this trouble vs. buying a replacement pack and going a lot longer before getting back into this.

Yes, Toyota has nice new-build replacements available. Dealers set their own prices, so it is worth calling a few. They won't ship the item, between bulk and hazmat restrictions it's not happening. So you'll be picking it up at the physical dealership that sells it to you, and you'll return your battery there- generally with a significant deposit charged until yours comes back. Good to note for financial planning purposes.

rjparker is right on the money when he says the battery will add considerable value to the car- so even if you only drive it another two years, save that receipt from the Toyota parts department because it'll add a lot to what you can set as a selling price.

7. Carall

Carall Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it's the battery, but to make sure you can unscrew all the 8mm bolts on the side where the leak is visible and put a piece of thin plastic under the block 8 and 9 to isolate the short to ground.
    As others have already said, you have 2 options: install a reсonditioned battery, not from a Prius 20 but a newer one, or a brand new from Toyota. I wouldn't waste my time with this battery.
    This morning my friend’s wife called me and said that in the morning the charge on the MFD had dropped to 1 bar. 2 leaking modules have already been replaced within ~3 years on that battery and it looks like a third one is on the way. I told them a year ago that they needed a new battery. Now is the time to do this for sure.
    I have several batteries: 2012, 2016 (Toyota replacement made by Primearth) and a couple more are still in the cars, I need to take them out and look. If you install a used one, then you will need to restore the capacity in it after 3 years in order to prevent it from reaching the point of no return.

8. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Post #22 had indicated that I had not narrowed down the issue to just the battery. That is why I wanted to make sure if there was something I missed. I would be willing to do more testing if there is a purpose but I figure Toyota can deal with the core later if they want to do something with it when they get it.

I went into my local Toyota dealership parts department on my way home. They will sell it to me. $1950 for the battery itself and $1350 for the core. After tax, that becomes just under $3508. Price is the same as the person I linked to above. Not sure if the price would be much different at another Toyota dealer and that one is only 9 miles away and the next is likely 30+ miles from home.

Through robbing Peter to pay Paul, I can afford that. Tuesday on my way to work, I plan to order it. Of course I get the core back. Seems the best option if I would be taking the battery pack out every two months to replace a cell. Something that is mostly worry free seems the best option.

I did step over to the service department and ask how much to install. I figured if they wanted maybe $250, might be worth it.
    They wanted $650 I believe. I did say that the old one was already removed to see if that would change anything but alas, no.

I have a few minor questions although feel free to comment about anything I wrote above.
    1. My understanding is that the mounting for the battery ECM will not be part of the new battery? Is it is pretty easy to remove and reinstall? I did remove just the ECM.
    2. Should I remove the ECM mounting and bring core already to Toyota before ordering? I assume that might be best to keep it for now to make sure I don't forget to remove anything?
    3. I assume that the box for the battery box from Toyota will fit inside of another Prius? Currently driving my roommate's 2007 Prius while they drive the 2003 Prius but if I need to, I can grab it with the Ranger.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Looks to me like you just solved for x.

I don't track hybrid pack prices consistently, but $1,950 sounds great to me. I'd do that deal.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You will get a set of modules clamped together.

Similar to this but new
    IMG_0434.jpeg

You will start with your old one
    IMG_0431.jpeg

Take it apart
    IMG_0436.png

Remove the old battery modules and reinstall the new

So there are many parts in the overall assembly you reuse.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exactly. There will be a cover on it and the frame for the electronics with some components in it. The components that are not in it you move over from the old battery.
    No, it is better to return it after you've finished your install.
    Exactly.

Brian1954 likes this.
  12. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One advantage I am thinking about with all new cells in that my roommate said that they have seen used 2nd Gen Prius with dead batteries going as low as $600. I could easily simply get a Prius with a dead battery and shift my new battery over that vehicle if nothing else.

13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As long as there is no corrosion at the orange connector of your battery ecu, you should have no problems. Take before and after pics for reference. Use a torque wrench for all HV connections - 48 INCH-pounds. Get some help fitting the battery back in place.

Toyota sells you a new sheetmetal housing with the modules already mounted inside. All the HV cables are present but need to be installed. You transfer the case section that has the ecu and contactors.

It's always a good idea to remove and clean the battery fan, and check the white harness connector near the fan. If the body sealer cracks around the tailgate, then water will seep in and cause corrosion at the connector. IMG_20240515_143222446_HDR_AE.jpeg IMG_20240515_142742397b.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know that my rear hatch did leak for a while but I kept using clear sealant until it stopped leaking. Noticed not too long after buying it.
    Might be where the rust came from.

I did not see any corrosion on the wires when I took the battery out.

The battery is too heavy and I am almost certainly going to need help getting it in properly. Likely get my roommate to help me. Did with the 2003 battery.

I will check the fan and clean it before putting everything back together.

Just ordered a torque wrench from Amazon. Figure better than getting one from Autozone / O'Reilly and returning it. I do know that when I remounted the battery in the 2003, I did not use a torque wrench however.

15. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ordered the battery this morning

16. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is what I ordered:
    Link

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a ½" FOOT-lbs torque wrench. You want a (usually) ¼" INCH-lbs torque wrench.

You will not be able to set 4 ft-lbs (48 In-lbs) on that ½" torque wrench as its lower limit is 10 ft-lbs. FWIW, using it at the lower limit will not likely give reliable results anyway.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes yeah return that big thing. It'll twist the posts right out of the plastic modules.

20. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No problem. I will likely keep it for other jobs though. For example I needed something like that to mount the wheel cylinder of the Mustang when I redid parts.

Can anyone recommend from Amazon the type I need then, something durable?