1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, VSC (!) light on but brakes work fine, except for the anti lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chomot, May 24, 2024.

1. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is a screw up on my end as I was changing the Aux 12V battery, was frustrated working though the passenger door because I could not get the back hatch opened and reversed the polarity. I own that, anyway I fixed 100A fuse link and a couple of smaller ones with this wonderfully helpful thread. The dome and one of the 10am abs ones. That was all I found as bad and I tested all of them under the dash and under the hood. With a meter I was getting 6VDC something volts on the aux batt input that did not look right to me but how is the car running ok if that is true. I will check that again today to see if that is still there.

100Amp DC/DC Fuse Fusible Link Replacement - 15 Minute Job | PriusChat

However I cannot clear or fix the ABS, VSC (!) lights and am still working on that. I tried the paperclip reset and the lights did clear once and came back and other time as I was normally driving it, during one start on their own they did not come on, the rest of the times they are on and stay on.

The rest of the car drives and acts just fine. Just like before I screwed it up. I did verify the anti lock is not working as it was raining pretty good yesterday and I tested the breaks by slamming them on at slow speed, it skidded each of the three times. The anti lock is not working, confirmed.

I need some help and advice please, the issue looks real

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check the 5 A fuse in the block attached to the 12 V battery terminal?

The owner's manual details the procedure to operate the hatch manual release should you find yourself in the same situation again.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It sounds like you don't have a capable scanner that can read and talk to all the computers in this particular car so you're not getting some codes for some lights that are on and will not go off they're not just on there to be looking like a Christmas tree for entertainment they're on because there is some information you need to retrieve from the car without the correct information retrieval tool the scanner part that's not going to happen or you're going to get very basic p codes for one or two of the computers that can manage to send that to your scanner so that would be the first order of business in this situation looking through all the fuses and all that is fine and great but if you can't communicate with the vehicle and get it to speak to you or the machine you're using then nobody's communicating and you're at a Mexican standoff basically once you can read and decipher what the car is trying to tell your scanner you'll be good to go a bunch of people have done this a bunch of times I can't remember all the stories and what their resolve was but generally communicating with the car was the first order of business to get correct.

4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Read posts #42, 43, and 44 in the thread that you linked to in your post.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Brian1954 likes this.
  6. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I came to the same conclusion over the weekend from doing more research. As such I have one on order and it should arrive this week. I will keep this thread posted to what I find once I get some data. Thanks for the good help for now

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing to do with fixing your current problem, but there are terminals under the hood in the fuse box for charging the 12V. No need to crawl in the back for that.
    Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 9.44.29 AM.png

8. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I found something, the ABS-2 30A fuse in the fusible link assembly block (82620-47050) was blown. I will need to get a new one.

I did as recommended and rounded up a TechStream set up, cheap Ebay knock-off and a few more hours than I would have liked and it is up an running. Get what you pay for right?

The error I have is: C1253 Hydro-Booster Pump Motor Relay. After some Google and YouTube I found the ABS-2 fuse link blown as noted, I picked that one up at a salvage yard and I am pretty sure I looked at all of them to verify they are good but, they are a bit hidden and I may have missed one, that and I did manage to clear the dashboard lights with the paper-clip reset once and during one drive the lights cleared themselves, but never again.

So what I am faced with is the obvious of replacing the fuse link block but what I do not want it to blow this 30A fuse again. I would like to ensure that I found the root problem, if there is one. What does this circuit feed in detail? Can I can do some tests on it and how to do those tests?

During the first troubleshooting the ABS Main2 10A micro fuse was found blown and I replaced it. It is still good.

As stated, at the moment the brakes are working perfectly fine in all aspects, except the anti-lock, I tested that when it was raining and when I slam on the breaks it will skid now.

Thanks for any help that can be suggested Techstream3.JPG Techstream2.JPG Techstream.JPG Fuse.JPG

9. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Oh, I will add in the old main fuse fusible link assembly block (82620-47050) this 30A one is still good. I did entertain trying to remove the metal plate and between the two make a good one but getting it out bent it up a bit and I do not want to risk it not working correclty.

10. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I despise fusible link "assemblies" as it becomes a complete PIA to deal with a situation just like yours.

If at all feasible, I try to bypass the blown link with a fused jumper for testing. For this I would use a 30A ATO (large old style blade) fuse with a fuse holder or a couple wires with female spade terminals. "Secure" one lead to the ABS2 B+ feed circuit to the relay (as possible). The other lead goes to B+ power somewhere. Then clear codes with Techstream and check brake function.

Looking at the wiring schematic, the ABS2 circuit and relay is a redundant power feed to control the brake actuator pump. Since the pump works, everything in blue should be fine. (all of that gets 12V when ABS relay is closed)

The only questionable section could be the red area. You can use a 12V test light to check for a short to ground at the ABS2 relay connector. Clip the test light lead to B+, touch the tip to ground and it'll light up. Check the relay socket terminal marked in yellow (terminal #3), and it should not light up.

If "everything" tests ok and the ABS2 relay is working, then replace the fusible link assembly and cross your fingers. Screenshot_20240602-095928.jpeg Screenshot_20240602-104555.jpeg Screenshot_20240602-104235.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#10 mr_guy_mann, Jun 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
  11. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Very helpful, I will round up the parts and give it a go next weekend. Once I have some results to share, I will do that for others to benefit from as well.

12. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    FIXED IT

All with the help of mr guy mann

Rounded up the parts today, inline fuse holder from AutoZone, visit to a junkyard and grabbed all the relays from the under hood box, would have grabbed the fusible link assembly but the place was closing and would not wait on me.

Followed your advice with the supplemental inline 30A fuse holder, it worked out so well this may be the final fix unless I find a new fusible link assembly someday and feel motivated to change it out. The burned off tab slipped right out from the top once I took a small screwdriver and pressed the locking tab a bit. With it removed it was easy to solder one end of the fuse holder wires to it and then reinstall it. The other end went straight to the battery terminal input.

After I got that installed I started following your directions but before I got too deep into that I zeroed in on the relay you identified, decided to meter it. I noticed a difference on the control side terminals, two of the ones from the junkyard were indicating 77.6 and 77.3 ohms while the one from the car was at 80.3 ohms not much difference, but, I installed one of the junkyard relays as a quick lazy test and started the car.

All the lights cleared and I was happy

What I think happened is originally I found the 10A ABS 2 fuse blown and it looks like it damaged that relay it is linked to enough so that it would not actuate and provide the redundant power to the brake actuator pump, triggering all the faults.

Anyone with the same problem that wants to take the read on the internet, parts swap and hope approach now you know

5.JPG 4.JPG 3.JPG 2.JPG 1.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

13. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    P.S. You notice that little black wire running from the top connector above the battery input down to the 7.5A first fuse.... That was a fix I found googling around shortly after I bought the car to clear an intermittent P code that would light up the check engine light. I forgot what the code number was, but it would only come on when it rained for some reason. Anyway the jumper wire worked worked, I got it to pass state inspection that was coming due and I never gave it another thought. If anyone knows the problem it is solving for and the real fix in detail let me know. That may be my next project

14. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So that jumper wire goes to the "P-Con Main" fuse. That's the system for engaging or releasing the transmission park lock when you shift in and out of gear.

A "common" fault is that corrosion forms on the power feed circuit to the control ecu and you get a C2310 and a "p - lock" error message. Apparently there's a blue wire in a white connector in the fuse box (it's in pic 4.jpg - top left corner under the black cover above the red jump start point).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. Chomot

Chomot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So the fix would be to pull that individual wire connector out of the overall bundle connector, clean it up and solder it? Corrosion sound right for the intermittent behavior I was seeing especially for when it was raining. Is there a good write up where someone did this as getting that bundle connector out of the bottom of the underhood fuse box and then removing that one blue wire for repairs looks to be a job.