1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermath of EGR Cooler Cleaning Project

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Su Mo, May 17, 2024.

1. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I recently cleaned my EGR cooler and happened to also cleaned all the material I pulled out in order to retrieve the EGR cooler. I washed all the plastic material and cleaned all the metal stuff using brake cleaner spray. yesterday, I put everything back together yesterday, added coolant and started the car and unfortunately, I figured that I did a poor job. I have the car making sounds like RPM going up and down with bunch of codes. One thing for sure is that, by mistake, I soaked the MAF sensor in the water along the intake cap when I was washing all the plastic stuff, that's showing up as well in the codes. I ordered a new MAF on ebay which is coming soon.

Below are all the codes showing: Can you please review below and please give suggestions and a headway? I put together notes with reasons for the codes.

P0113 - Permanent (Part ordered)
    Error code P0113 is indicative of an issue with your vehicle's intake air temperature sensor. Some vehicles have an air intake temperature sensor or IAT sensor. This will either be mounted inside the air filter duct housing or built into the mass airflow sensor (MAF).

P0102 - Permanent
    The most common cause of a P0102 on a 2010-2015 Toyota Prius is user error. How does it happen? Maybe an oil change place wanted to check the air filter, or maybe an owner wanted to service the throttle body. Regardless of how it happened, the most likely cause of a P0102 is an unplugged air flow meter.

P0108 - Permanent
    Code P0108 sets when the voltage to the PCM from the MAP/Baro Sensor Circuit stays above 4.5 volts for 10 seconds or more when the values from the Throttle Position, RPM and Oxygen sensors are changing. A vehicle with this code should be taken in to a repair shop for diagnosis.

P0123 - Permanent
    The P0123 code can be caused by a defective throttle position sensor or pedal position sensor, wiring issues, a dirty throttle body, or PCM issues. The common symptoms of the P0123 code include an illuminated check engine light, hesitating during acceleration, or a rough-running engine.

P2135 - Permanent
    Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2135 stands for “Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/ Switch A/B Voltage Correlation.” This code appears when your car's primary computer, which is often referred to as the powertrain control module (PCM), detects a problem with one of throttle and/or the pedal position sensors/switches.

P0301
    This error indicates that cylinder #1 isn't firing properly because there's not enough fuel in the air/fuel mixture. As a result, the cylinder isn't moving at the correct rate.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just clean the MAF sensor and whatever else you got soaked with some throttle body cleaner spray and blow it off with compressed air if you have it and then a little less PSI of compressed air to blow out the spaces where those devices attached to the intake and or throttle body to make sure all of that is dry and try again usually just sitting and cleaning fluid doesn't hurt these things The goes thru shop tanking . That's a different story but just at the house and cleaning fluids and so on You should be able to rinse it re-clean it with throttle body cleaner blow it off set it down to additionally drip drain or dry if anything has gotten in any of the ways or voids of the device and try it again this happened on my generation 3 both of them a couple of times doing similar and I had access to junkyard vehicles and had plenty of the sensors that are in the throttle body area still have them in the tool box after cleaning and doing whatever all of the originals worked fine and netted no codes.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You’ve presented the info well; should be getting helpful responses.

Try recleaning the MAF sensor with the proper cleaner? CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner is one.

You had the intake manifold off, and throttle body separated?

What’s the miles on it? Did P0301 just show after the EGR cleaning? It often pertains to head gasket failure at cylinder one.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's easy to forget to connect something, or not connect it all the way. Tripple check everything.
    Clean the sensors with MAF/MAP sensor cleaner and let them air dry for a 5-10 minutes.

Also check that you didn't pinch the intake manifold gasket or didn't tighten a bolt/nut enough.

Clear the codes and start the engine. I forgot to connect the MAP sensor I think it is, on the top
    back on the intake manifold, it ran rough, and got the check engine light. I cleared the code but
    it didn't go away until I drove the car a few miles.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most of the codes you have listed there are shown as 'permanent'. That means the car simply saw those conditions at one time, and has remembered seeing them. The permanent codes will go away after a certain amount of driving without those conditions recurring. You don't have to do anything about them.

If at any point you happened to turn the car ON before you had plugged those items back in after doing the work, that would explain those permanent codes. (The intake air temperature and mass airflow sensor are combined in the same item; that's just one plug.)

That leaves only this one code shown as actually current:

The only true part of that description is the first nine words. P0301 indicates that cylinder #1 isn't firing properly. That can be because there's not enough fuel in the mixture, or because there's too much fuel in the mixture, or because the mixture isn't getting compressed enough, or because the spark plug isn't making a good enough spark at the right time, or because something foreign like water or coolant is getting in the mixture, or because too much recirculated exhaust is getting in the mixture. So, misfire codes leave diagnostic work for the human to do.

Brian1954 likes this.
  6. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, I took out intake manifold and throttle body seperated. 237k miles are there on the car. It was working perfectly fine before the work.

7. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One thing which is pretty evident when I turn on the car is that, the engine sound volume goes up and down like the RPM goes up and down like someone is pushing the gas pedal and letting go off it, pushing the gas pedal and letting go off it. Feels like engine isn't getting proper air.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you disconnect the 12 volt for this work. In my experience this'll cause a short term surge in rpm at start-up, for the first 30 seconds or so, once engine's running. Just one such pulse, not repeating, IIRC. This'll be for the next 2~3 start ups: I suspect it's recalibrating something.

Yeah with 237K miles, if this is the first EGR cleaning, it'd be a miracle gen 3 if it didn't have a failing head gasket. And there's P0301. But I suppose I'm jumping to conclusions... :whistle:

How long have you had it, since what miles?

9. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    - I didn’t disconnect the 12v.
    - I had this since 198,000 miles and never had any problem. Had new hybrid battery by GreenBean put in. Doesn’t burn oil. Oil change every 3500-4000 miles. Well maintained car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Do you thinking disconnecting and reconnecting to 12v will help in any way?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think so, but if all else fails. As others have said, maybe something disconnected/pinched. How did the EGR look, say the cooler interior?

That borders on eerie.

That too. I wonder if it's the original engine: until partway through model year 2014 gen 3's had "low-tension" piston rings, likely Toyota trying to up the mpg. Whatever the reason, that piston/ring combo has proven very prone to runaway oil consumption. Someone might have replace the engine, or swapped in a short block. But then sell it?? Typically high mileage gen 3's are for sale for a reason.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will only clear the codes, which you can do with a proper code reader.
    You need to check everything first and make sure all is correct. ( See post #4)
    Clear the codes, start the car and see/hear/feel how the engine runs.
    If you wish to disconnect the negative cable of the battery for 30 minutes, up to you.

It is much easier to check that everything is connected correctly and bolted correctly.
    Then trouble shoot. If the map sensor is not correctly plugged in, replacing a good one
    with another (hopefully) good one, and not connecting it correctly, will not resolve the problem.
    And drive you crazy.

13. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Double check that ALL the vacuum hoses are connected properly.
    Also, check to make sure that the air inlet assembly was put back correctly.

xliderider and Danno5060 like this.
  14. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm trying to test the MAF sensor with multimeter. Can someone please direct me to a how to video/article to understand the pins on the MAF sensor?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Repair Manual info:

Attached Files:

Su Mo likes this.
  16. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the document. I was able to test the resistance on the MAF.

a. Room temperature 75 degrees and result I got was 1.68Ohms
    b. Room temperature 75 degrees, Sat infront of a fan with air blowing into the MAF and result I got was 1.68Ohms

1. Does this entail the MAF is good?
    2. Can you please help me if there's a document to test out the IAT sensor which is combined with this sensor?

Thank you

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ll have a look tomorrow.

just being librarian btw; someone more knowledgeable will hopefully weigh in regarding your questions.

Su Mo likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As it happens, there is only one resistance test shown in the document Mendel shared, and that test is a test of the IAT sensor (terminal THA to E2). The other three pins—the ones uninvolved in that test—are the ones to the MAF sensor proper.

The manual doesn't give you any simple multimeter test of the MAF sensor, because it isn't the kind of circuit you can test that way. Too much going on inside it. You can see the test they give for the MAF functionality is to use Techstream and look at what reading the ECM is getting from the sensor.

[​IMG]

Now, getting back to that resistance test of the IAT sensor that you did conduct, are you positive the 1.68Ω reading you've given wasn't 1.68kΩ? 1.68kΩ I could believe, at your 75℉ reported temperature, per the graph in the manual.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• D5.png
      D5.png
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
    #18 ChapmanF, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
    Mendel Leisk and Su Mo like this.
  19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I had to put money on this, I'd go with a vacuum line not connected, or improperly tightened throttle body bolts causing a vacuum leak.

SM-G781V ?

Brian1954 and Su Mo like this.
  20. Su Mo

Su Mo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I checked this I had one of my friend also check it but I will check this again. I ordered a MAF from ebay already it’s still on the way.