1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car for teen driver, 2016 vs 2017 Prius (Automatic braking and safety)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by docboy, May 22, 2024.

1. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting a vehicle for my teen daughter. Debating between the Prius and Rav4 fwiw (she likes the Rav4 due to it styling, I'll save that for another thread lol), but since this is a Prius forum, thought I get some inputs.

According to Consumer Reports, all 2017 Prius comes standard with Standard automatic emergency braking. Is this true?

There is a 2016 Prius Three Touring locally I'm looking at, and according to US News it has TSS-P (Toyota Safety Sense P package).

However, according to US News "While the 2016 Prius is a solid choice, you'll have to hunt for certain advanced safety features that became standard with the 2017 model. These features include forward collision warning, pedestrian detection, lane keep assist, and adaptive cruise control. If you want these features, you should buy a 2017 model rather than looking for a 2016 model that has the pricey packages that include them."

Is forward collision warning = automatic emergency braking?

Also are blind spot monitoring and parking sensors available on certain trims or are they added options?

Which year and trim Prius would you recommend taking into account safety? So many Prius trims and models...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might be able to find some info at toyota.com/owners. bear in mind that some of the early gen 4 prius had an exhaust heat exchanger leak issue.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They're just warning you not to overspend on a 2016 since the 2017s include more safety gear at the base trim.

FCW tells you to stop when it thinks you missed something. AEB hits the brakes for you. Different.

When a car includes an expensive hybrid battery, I always suggest buying the youngest one you can afford, because they are a life-limited item.