1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dim low beams

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SMR's Dad, May 20, 2024.

1. SMR's Dad

SMR's Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    High beams work great, so it's not the lenses. Low beams are dangerously dim and yellow. I saw a post that stated the ground connection is on the left suspension tower, but so is the main electrical panel. Couldn't find any ground to body connection. But I don't think it is a ground issue, high beams are plenty powerful. They are Halogen bulbs, the best explanation for this issue I have seen is poor connections in the bulb sockets, but I highly doubt this is the case either. I work maintenance and my gut tells me it has to be a component that affects both low beams equally, but not the high beams? I have been way too busy to investigate, but last night in the rain I decided it was no longer safe to drive!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is your 2001 with the daytime running lights or without? The wiring is substantially different.

If without, the 12 V power arrives at each bulb's common terminal, so any problem there would affect high and low beams.

The path to ground from the low beams passes through a junction connector (J4 / J5), another junction connector (J12 / J13), pins 17 to 16 of the headlight dimmer stalk, and another junction connector (J17) on the way to body ground point IG (in cabin, body sheet metal at the right of the dash, possibly visible with glove box removed).

From that ground point up to pin 16 of the dimmer stalk is, of course, common to high and low beams, so probably isn't your issue.

Wiring for the headlights with the daytime running light feature is ... different.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take a voltage reading at the connector for high and low beams.
    A bad ground is a common issue for headlamps that are dim. If they bulbs are good.
    You could always run a jumper and ground wire to the light bulb and see if you get a good
    bright bulb. If you do, then the bulb(s) is(are) good.
    You can also jump the connector ground to the chassis and see if they are bright.

Try the simplist things first, because they are simple, and easy.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Keep in mind that these gen 1 lights (in the non-DRL version anyway) are supplied 12 V at the bulbs' common terminals, and the ground returns are what get switched to have high or low beam.

5. SMR's Dad

SMR's Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I just now got around to checking for a response, good info! No daytime running lights. And I wouldn't have considered ground being switched! I have 248K on her with very few issues. She has been a great car.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A Gen 1? I’m just a little incredulous, this being Gen 3 forum. ;)

could the headlight lens be a factor; are they getting hazy from sitting in sunlight?