1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2019 AWD-e sluggish acceleration, feeling powerless, poor consumption, feeling heavy, shaking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Raphael Novaes, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Raphael Novaes

Raphael Novaes New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’ve been trying to figure out what’s the problem of my car and I finally get rid of the those problems and I want to share the symptoms and solutions to help everyone. My car is now with 160k miles and I start to experience bad stability, shake, vibrations, poor consumption 38-42mpg, brake vibration, poor ride feeling in the entire car, car seems to be stuck, heavy, accelerate too much to move the car, poor torque, feeling the car doesn’t respond the acceleration like it used to do. No panel alert messages.
    What I changed:
    Brakes (pads and rotors) back and front.
    Shocks (back and front)
    Alignment
    Balance
    Spark plugs

All original OEM Toyota parts.

total around 2k everything parts and service.

car running like new

hope help everyone

Doug McC and Pulse07 like this.
  2. Raphael Novaes

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    A month later it started shaking again than I changed 2 front CV axles. Problem not gone yet. I’m trying to figure out what’s else can make it vibrate

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any trouble codes?

Annaman likes this.
  4. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You changed you spark plugs what about the coil packs? I would recheck your spark plugs and the gap on each.

5. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would you say the shaking/vibration is more correlated to engine speed or road speed? You mentioned stability issues. I gather those improved after you changed the brakes and shocks? Are the tires well balanced and fitting well on the rims? (I once had tires that were perfectly balanced but out-of-round.)

Did all the spark plugs look the same when you removed them? It would be nice to pull them out and carefully look again, and if you're feeling especially curious, check the compression while you're at it. As mentioned by someone else, any trouble codes? I'm not sure if an O2 sensor can give you feedback on a single injector that wasn't spraying properly, but those are some things to think about.

6. Raphael Novaes

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    No codes at all.

I didn’t replace the coil packs because I don’t really feel this problems come from the engine. I feel it’s more suspension related.

Some more updates:

I'm still wrestling with issues like stability, bouncing, and handling, but I'm feeling better with every part I swap out. So far, I've changed:

- All four brakes (pads and rotors)
    - All four struts
    - Both front CV axles
    - Four spark plugs
    - The 12V battery
    - All four wheel bearings
    - Both front ball joints
    - The transmission oil
    - The steering gear assembly
    - Both front tie rods
    - All four sway bar links
    - Both front lower arm assemblies
    - One rear CV axle

I'm about to replace the last rear CV axle, and I'm pretty sure that'll finally fix the stability issue.

Yes tires are always balanced and car alignment is always good. The last time I had the alignment service in Toyota just to make sure everything was right. Recently I have to replace the 2 rear tires that were almost new because one of them was cupped like unleavened. I guess it’s due to the bad cv axle.

#6 Raphael Novaes, May 25, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2024
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO - I'd find another shop/mechanic to get a second opinion. There are simple, no special tools 5-minutes test to validate each of the above components were actually defective or out of OEM specs.; especially if you can feel it while driving. The defective suspension component would've been easily shifted out of spec. with a crowbar. Bearings and tie rods by pushing and pulling on the top and bottom or front and back of the tire; any 'play' would translate to a wobble going down the road - effecting mileage and stability. Sounds like somebody is just swapping parts and hoping to get lucky.

Just my opinion and 2-cents; Good luck.

PS. Has the throttle body, air intake pathway been cleaned out and engine air filter been replaced? Always start with the basics, BEFORE replacing major components. The chances of getting a counterfeit component is much greater nowadays. The new component will work initially but will prematurely fail at or near the end of the warranty period.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were the plugs oem from a dealer?

10. Raphael Novaes

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I understand, but my mechanic made all the tests before I decided to replace it and they didn’t find any problems, any loosing/play parts, so it was my decision to buy the parts from the dealer and take to him to replace it. I work with my car 12h a day 6 days a week, I feel my car is like part of my body already lol joking. But I’m sure that something was not properly working.

11. Raphael Novaes

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Yes everything that I replace is OEM. I don’t do aftermarket stuff

bisco likes this.
  12. Raphael Novaes

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I was researching this problem and that’s what I found:

When one of the rear CV (Constant Velocity) axles in a Toyota AWD-E system is faulty, it can lead to several issues that affect the overall performance and safety of the vehicle. Here’s what typically happens and how it impacts the vehicle:

### Symptoms of a Faulty Rear CV Axle:
    1. **Noise:**
    - One of the most common signs of a bad CV axle is unusual noises from the vehicle, particularly a clicking or popping sound when making turns. This noise is due to the CV joint failing to maintain smooth rotational motion.

2. **Vibration:**
    - A damaged or worn CV axle can cause the vehicle to experience vibrations, which are often felt through the steering wheel or the body of the car. This vibration tends to worsen with acceleration.

3. **Grease on the Inside of the Wheels:**
    - If the CV boot that protects the CV joint is damaged, it can leak grease onto the inside of the wheel. This not only indicates a CV axle problem but also exposes the CV joint to dirt and debris, accelerating wear.

### Impact on the AWD-e System:
    1. **Reduced Traction and Stability:**
    - The AWD-e system relies on the proper functioning of all wheels for optimal traction and stability. A failing rear CV axle compromises the ability to distribute torque effectively to the wheels, particularly under conditions where AWD functionality is critical, such as slippery roads.

2. **Uneven Tire Wear:**
    - A bad CV axle can cause uneven or accelerated tire wear due to uneven distribution of power and possibly altered wheel alignment. This can further lead to poor handling and increased safety risks.

3. **Potential Damage to Other Components:**
    - Continuing to drive with a bad CV axle can put additional strain on other components of the drivetrain and suspension system. Over time, this can lead to more extensive repairs if not addressed promptly.

4. **AWD System Inefficiency:**
    - If the rear axle is not functioning correctly, the AWD-e system’s ability to engage and function efficiently is compromised. This could lead to improper activation of the system or failure to activate when needed, reducing the vehicle's overall performance and efficiency.

### What to Do:
    - **Immediate Inspection:**
    - If you suspect a rear CV axle issue, it’s important to get the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible. They can diagnose the problem accurately and recommend the necessary repairs.

- **Replacement:**
    - Typically, a damaged CV axle needs to be replaced rather than repaired. Replacement ensures that all related components, like CV joints and boots, are new and can offer reliable performance.

Driving with a faulty CV axle in a Toyota AWD-E system not only diminishes the vehicle's efficiency and performance but also poses safety risks, making timely diagnosis and repair crucial.

After replacing the complete suspension of my car, which now has over 200,000 miles, I've gained some valuable Prius maintenance experience . If I were to encounter similar problems in the future, I would approach repairs differently. Initially, I would start by replacing the rear CV axles and then the front ones. If the issue persists, I'd move on to replacing all four wheel bearings. Should problems continue, the next step would be to replace the front ball joints, tie rods, and all four sway bar links. Lastly, I would replace the struts, which in my previous experience, I actually replaced first.

I hope that helps someone facing similar problems :)

bisco likes this.