1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing steering wheel on a gen 4 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by awenger, Jan 27, 2024.

1. awenger

awenger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello, I currently own (and love!) my 2010 prius, it has been a very reliable and wonderful car to own. In the ~2 years that I have owned it, I have put nearly 100,000 miles on it. That being said, it is time to start looking for a new car that has less miles on it (mine is up to 235k+ as of when I am writing this post). Ideally, I am hoping to buy a 2020-2022; I don't like the way the new 2023-2024 prius's look - they look too much like fancy Teslas, I like the recognizable typical prius look. I am not a fan of how the rear ends of the 2016-2019 (and some 2020-2022, depending on trim package) look, how they have the dip on top. That being said, I am looking for a 2020-2022 that has a flat spoiler on it, not one with an dip in the middle. My only overall issue with the 2020-2022 prius that I would be interested in buying is the steering wheel. On long trips, I tend to rest my hand at 6 o'clock on the wheel with a couple fingers through the hole in the steering wheel. On all of the prius's that I have seen that are 2016 or newer, the steering wheel does not have the opening on the bottom of the wheel like my current 2010 prius does (for example). I was wondering how difficult it would be to swap the steering wheel on a 2022 prius to an older steering wheel, such as the one on the 2010 prius. I know I would lose use of some of the buttons, I am mainly worried about compatibility. Or, if anyone has any advice or experience in swapping to a completely aftermarket steering wheel that would have the spot for my hand that I am looking for. The convenience of buttons available on the steering wheel is not very important to me, other than volume for the radio. Let me know if anyone has advice or suggestions, I browsed around the forum but wasn't able to find much information about swapping a steering wheel. Thank you in advance!

2. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Came across this: