1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to get new key

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by semilak, May 23, 2024.

1. semilak

semilak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi guys!
    Where to get new remote key for my car? Do I need to go to a Toyota dealer or can I get it everywhere? How much is it roughly (I live in Australia). Thanks

SM-G970U1 ?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    First before you do anything talk to a locksmith in your area that does this kind of work and see if he's got the universal machinery that most people and other countries besides the USA usually have he'll be able to read your transponder codes and all of that kind of stuff and duplicate them onto something else maybe even a cool looking remote that you might like that may or may not fit in the slot if you have that model of car there's all kinds of things you can do now or is it some capable special machine wielding locksmith can and usually I found those in Europe not in the States If you have your original remote when you slide the key out and slide the back off there's a gray sticker take a photograph of that if you haven't already that has all the numbers and information that speaks to your cars SKS electronic system which is the perimeter security and all the recognition of the remote without it being out and touched and all that but yes it can be done in for reasonable today Don't fall for any of the shysters.

3. semilak

semilak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the information. I contacted two Locksmiths in my area and both of them want AUD 385 for the smart key Huh that's too much for me!
    I found a DIY solution on Reddit + some videos on YouTube and it looks that's it's not very hard to program the key with a cable (have to have the right one), a laptop, a new key from Aliexpress (with the same board as the original key is the best or used OEM key -expensive on eBay), and Techstream app.
    Is there someone who tried to program a new smart key in this or a similar way?

SM-G970U1 ?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah you can generally get SKS silverback remotes on eBay LKQ well you're in Australia so I don't know what to tell you about salvaging the United Kingdom but I get them all the time I don't ever use them because usually the cars I'm buying have them coming with them so for a while I had a drawer full of them and then I didn't because nobody ever cared about him when the drawer was full.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For about $500 you can get the Xtools D8. And register the keys, plus have access
    too all the other sytems and diagosis.
    Update: I also programed in new TPMS sensors. It was extremely easy!
    It was easy to get to the section that says program new sensores.
    Then I typed in the sensor numbers I wrote down before installing them.
    Clicked the finish and it was done! Set the tires to 38PSI and reset the system with
    the button under the steering wheel, no more flashing light or light. And the D8 read
    the pressures and temp's. Nifty!

#5 ASRDogman, May 24, 2024
    Last edited: May 24, 2024
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search: 'chicken dance'

7. semilak

semilak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  8. Carall

Carall Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Xtools D8 have smart box reset function for gen 3 prius? When I was looking for a device that had this function, I couldn’t find confirmation on the internet and bought one that definitely had it.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First time I've ever heard of a "smart box reset function". Don't know what it is.
    The D8 can do everything Techstream can do. Plus, it works for pretty much ALL vehicles,
    not only Toyota's.

10. Carall

Carall Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using this function you don't have to deal with the seed # in all key lost situation like you have to do it in the Techstream.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I take it this is what you mean by "smart box reset function"?
    I don't believe that's what it's actuall called, but I remember seeing something
    about reseting the keys. Since I didn't need, or want to do that, I didn't mess with it.

Since you just need to "add" a key, you don't need to go through all of that.